Leading Edge Medical Research and Healthcare
Life Sciences in NKY: Built on Firsts
The Cincinnati region has a strong record of firsts in life science, medical research, and healthcare. From the polio vaccine to Benadryl and the FAST (F-face, A-arm, S-speech, T-time) method for identifying signs of a stroke. Here are just a handful of varied examples:
- The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine is the second-oldest public college of medicine in the United States.
- Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center (CCHMC), ranked No. 3 among the best pediatric hospitals in the nation for 2022 by U.S. News & World Report, traces its roots back to 1884.
“This region is a great place to start and build a company. The culture and the people of Northern Kentucky really make a difference. I couldn’t imagine doing this anywhere else.”
Tony Remington, President & CEO, Gravity Diagnostics
- CTI Clinical Trial and Consulting Services, a global, privately held, full-service contract research organization (CRO) with global headquarters in Covington, was named the #1 CRO in the world for quality at the 2022 CRO Leadership Awards. CTI has managed more than 40 active COVID-19 trials for treatment and prevention.
- Leveraging the expertise in the region, a targeted cancer therapy platform and treatment developed by Bexion Pharmaceuticals in Covington has completed a multi-site first-in-human Phase 1 clinical trial.
- More than 2 million human tissue cancer and non-cancer specimens are housed at the Biospecimen Repository at the Wood Hudson Cancer Research Laboratory. It’s the only one of its kind in Kentucky.
Life Sciences in Northern Kentucky
Northern Kentucky is home to many life science organizations, with concentrations in key sectors including biomedical research, gene therapy, medical device manufacturing, and health informatics.
There are 22 four-year colleges/universities and 11 community and technical colleges located within a 75-mile commute of Northern Kentucky. In addition, regional universities are also important producers of Life Sciences talent. In 2019, the University of Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky University, and Miami University collectively awarded 3,800 health professional degrees. This includes Northern Kentucky University’s Health Informatics program. The Cincinnati region is the #1 best city in the nation for college graduates. (Source: SmartAsset 2022)
- Ethos Laboratories
- Gravity Diagnostics
- Thermo Fischer Scientific, Inc. / PPD Global Central Labs
- Wood Hudson Cancer Research
- Bexion Pharmaceuticals
Headquarters & Office
- CTI Clinical Trial and Consulting Services
- Protech Home Medical Corp.
Laboratory Equipment Manufacturing
- Analytical Solutions and Providers (ASAP)
- Andritz Separation Inc.
Medical Device Manufacturing
- ABB Optical
- Beam Technologies
- Beckman Coulter Inc.
- Zeiss Vision Care
- Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
- St. Elizabeth Healthcare & Physicians
- The Christ Hospital Physicians
- UC Health Physicians